Sunday, May 26, 2013

Kleinmond




The Regional Gathering was held at a place called The Grail Center, located in the small town of Kleinmond; 2 hours drive from the airport. The shuttle dropped us off at our guesthouses and after a full day of travel, we got some much-needed sleep.

The town of Kleinmond is a nice area just to walk around and even do some hiking. On my first day I climbed up the “The Three Sisters” trail with Clayton Ellington and Robert Turk. It was a great hike but we only walked for about 2 hours because it started to rain. There were some great views on the mountain. I also got a chance to walk around the town and along the coast line. The community of Kleinmond is mostly made up of retired couples that have small homes with picket fences.

The following day we started to explore the area and visited the beach as we waited for more people to arrive. I had not realized the number of Presbyterian mission co-workers that are living in Africa; it was great to meet everyone, and to hear where they were all coming from. The experience of having all these missionaries in one place and having the opportunity to hear about their lives and work was truly eye opening. Before going to the Regional Gathering, I knew that there were lots of missionaries that were helping people in different countries, but as I met them and put a face to their profession, I began to realize how much the church is doing, and the way that they are empowering local people to help themselves; it’s really inspirational stuff.

While many of the things on the agenda did not directly pertain to the YAVs, by being included in the Gathering, there were a lot of things that we learned. One of the great things about being part of this retreat was that the World Mission office was presenting the new strategic direction to the mission co-workers. I really enjoyed hearing about the new direction that this office is moving in and while my time in Africa is beginning to draw to a close, it was nice to feel like the YAVs are part of it as well.

Another thing that I really like was hearing the different stories that people would share. It is always great to hear stories from people who travel and many of these people are coming from different parts of the continent. Some of the stories were hilarious while others were about the hard ships that the local people and friends are going through. What interested me the most was the time of sharing where people would explain the difficulties and challenges they face in their work and in their lives… I think these experiences gave me a new perspective on the challenges that we face. As a YAV in a new country and a different culture, there are always challenges you will face. I guess it is nice to know that I was not the only one that has struggled with adapting to a different culture and even mission co-workers, who have been living in their different countries for years, also struggle with things too.



To sum up, I had a great time at the gathering, and enjoyed being with my fellow YAVs and my dad. I am deeply thankful for the opportunities and happy to spend it with such great people.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment