Thursday, May 2, 2013

Story Chair


Hello friends!

I hope all is well. It has been a while since my last post. I had a great time with my parents who came to visit for a week and then I got to travel to South Africa for the Africa mission conference. Know I am back in Nairobi and working at the OAIC office again.

One of the projects that I am working on is the painting of a story chair for a Sunday school class. The chair is made of dried reeds that have been woven together and fixed around a framework of metal. The idea was to paint the chair with different biblical sense so that it would be used as a storybook chair during the children’s time.

I have really enjoyed having an art project to work on that allows me to take some time from the desk and paper work. The front part of the chair depicts the ark and some of the animals. I really think it came out well and the colors are bright and lively. I also think that the wise men on the back and lower part of the chair are good. I was a little hesitant to draw human figures and even faces but they turned out well. It is quite a challenge to paint and have lots of details because the surface is so uneven. In addition, you have to paint in the cracks so that the pictures colors are as vivid as possible.

At this point, most of the chair is painted but there is still space for a manger scene on the back. I will be finishing the chair in the next few days and then it will go to the churches children’s program.

While it has been here many of the office staff have asked me who the chair is for and if I could paint one for them as well. While I have really enjoyed the project I am not sure that I would have the time to paint another one before my time here is done. But maybe some day I could do it again. It has been great to work on and to have others share with me what they think about it.

Feel free to let me know how it looks in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Will - Looks great! you going to pack one back with your bags?

    Hope you are well~

    Richard

    ReplyDelete